Style #: EQUISH1
- Kentucky Equine Research
- Time-released buffer stabilizes hindgut pH
- Aids in reducing risk of colic and laminitis
- 1.25 kg
EquiShure® is a time-released buffer targeting the hindgut. Research supports the use of a hindgut buffer in cases of high grain and high fructan intake. Up to 70% of the horse’s energy is derived from fermentation in the hindgut. The pH of the hindgut varies as bacterial populations increase and decrease in response to dietary modifications. An acidic shift, which can be caused by carbohydrate-rich meals, favors the growth of acid-loving bacteria, while other microbes die in the same conditions.
Changes in the pH of the hindgut due to alterations in the microbial populations and acid profiles cause a condition known as subclinical acidosis, which can put affected horses at a higher than normal risk for colic and laminitis. Other signs of subclinical acidosis include decreased feed intake or complete inappetence in severe cases, mild to moderate colic signs of unexplained origin, poor feed efficiency and subsequent weight loss, loss of performance, and development of certain vices such as wood chewing, weaving, and stall walking.
EquiShure’s unique, patented encapsulation technology ensures targeted release directly in the hindgut.
EquiShure is recommended for horses:
- On high-grain diets or grazing lush pasture
- With inappetence or weight loss
- With unexplainable behavioral problems
- With digestive upsets resulting in loose manure
- Prone to recurrent mild colic or laminitis
- Sport horses under stress of training